Monday, February 9, 2009

Jacob Lawrence and the Great Migration







"I paint the things I know about and the things I have experienced. The things I have experienced extend into my national, racial and class group. So I paint the American scene."
Jacob Lawrence (1917 – 2000) was one of the first African-American artists who was trained by other African-Americans as part of the Harlem Renaissance. Born in Atlantic City but growing up mostly in New York, Jacob Lawrence spent most of his life’s work on the theme of African-American migration. A large portion of his work is devoted to the experience of African-Americans in Northern cities in the twentieth century, looking at the discrimination they yet faced, the pillars of strength they needed to survive and thrive, and also pictures of daily life. Jacob Lawrence used a vibrant color palette and distinctive shapes in his work.
Clicking on the pictures above will take you to more information about them.
More information on Jacob Lawrence can be found at the Whitney's exhibit on him.



No comments:

Post a Comment